On behalf of the Admissions Committee, thank you for visiting our website. HMS is a private co-educational, independent, Buddhist-based school located in Nu'uanu Valley, adjacent to downtown Honolulu. HMS offers year round enrollment opportunities on a space available basis.
Campus Tour: We strongly encourage prospective families to visit our campus as part of the admissions process. During the all day campus visitations, children get the best feel of the school. Please call our administration office at 532-0522, extension 0, to schedule a tour with the Admissions Director.
We encourage all applications to be submitted by early December and payment and all required documentation as soon as possible thereafter. Carefully review and follow the instructions on all forms.
• Complete the online application form (takes only a few minutes)
• Mail or drop off the following:
• $65 application fee (non-refundable payment) in cash and/or check payble to "HMS".
• A copy of your child's birth certificate or passport
• School records (if available)
• Academic Progress Report (copies of your child’s current and previous report cards)
• Standardized Test Scores (if applicable: a copy of the most recent standardized test scores)
• Ask your child's caregiver or teacher to return the completed form directly to HMS
• Preschool & Pre-Kindergarten & Kindergarten Applicants
• 1st - 8th Grade Applicants. (Must incl. math & language arts at minimum)
• Administrator Reference Report. (grades 6-8)
• Parents: Please sign page 1 of the Caregiver/Teacher Reference Reports
• Present your pre-authorized form to the Caregiver / Teacher along with a stamped envelope addressed to:
Director of Admissions
Hongwanji Mission School
1728 Pali Highway
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
In December, we begin notification via email of required group observation/visitation, individual assessment, and parent interview. The interview session with the Head of School or Admissions Director is an opportunity to get acquainted, and gives parents an opportunity to ask questions.
• Preschool through Kindergarten Applicants – one hour group observation, individual assessment, and parent interview
• Grades 1 through 8 Applicants – All day campus visitation (includes individual assessment), and parent interview
The Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications for entry into HMS. Parents will be notified of their child’s admissions status within three weeks. If your child’s admission’s file is incomplete, you will be notified by the Admissions Director.
• New Students to HMS – Candidates offered admission to HMS must respond by the deadline specified in the decision notification letter. If accepting admission to HMS, please attach an enrollment deposit of $800 (to be credited towards tuition) to guarantee a space during the up-coming school year. This deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable should you decide not to enroll your child at HMS.
•Re-enrolling HMS Students – In February of each year, a “re-enrollment” email will be sent home to HMS families through Gradelink. In order to guarantee a space for your child during the next school year, the on-line Gradelink re-enrollment form must be completed no later than March 31st along with a deposit of $750 per child (to be credited towards tuition). This deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable should you decide not to enroll your child at HMS.
For your convenience, please refer to this chart that outlines the admissions process.
Thank you, for your interest in Hongwanji Mission School. For information related to tuition and aid, please Click Here.